Friday, May 6, 2011

Hearing God Through A Word


Wednesday night before bed I was reading some words that I had received over the past couple of years. Two examples of hearing God stuck out that I want to share. In June of last year, I was given the verse Psalm 44:4 and told God was speaking victory over me. Little did I know that reading this truth again was designed to get me through the very next day. I woke up in the middle of the night to a loud knock on my door; I jumped out of bed and stood straight up. After a moment I realized that there was no one at my door, but now I was wide-awake and so I decided to get some work done. I looked at the clock and it was 4:44am. “Of course it is!” I grumbled at the clock as my husband happily snored away. I got up and did laundry and then paid some bills. When I discovered that I had an added expense that did not fit in my budget, I was officially in a bad mood! The day did not get better from there, but I will spare you the discouraging details. By the time night fell I was crawling into bed and telling God, “I just need this day to end.” The verse Psalm 44:4 came to mind again. God tried to tell me before my day ever started that it would be a challenge. Dare I say He even knocked on my door at 4:44am to try to get my attention? I was so busy reacting to my day, not one time did I stop to pray or ask God what to do about any of the situations that came up. He spoke victory over me, but I did not pursue it. Most often when we get a word it requires our participation.

This brings me to the second example I wanted to share. The last part of the word I received was this statement, “Know that when you sit on the porch and you look up to the stars and you seek for my face that I am there and I hear your voice.” I have to say this is just about the sweetest thing God has ever said to me. A few days before I received this word I was out late grocery shopping. It must have been close to 11:00pm when I got home. Everyone was asleep on this beautiful summer night. I looked up to the sky and said out loud “I know you are up there…I love you.” This was His way of saying, “I love you” too. If I had been thinking more clearly the message I heard on Wednesday night would have been “you have a difficult day coming up, talk to me…I will listen and by the way I have victory for your situations.”

Hearing God is not some freaky, weird occurrence that only happens occasionally. It does not need to be accompanied by angels singing, mist on the ground or glowing lights. It is completely natural and simply a Father loving His children and taking the time to walk out life with them.

Some things to ponder: It is best to know the character and integrity of someone you receive a word from. Write down the words you receive and pray into them. Some words are not fulfilled for years, but you will notice confirmations, which are encouraging while waiting. Never make life decisions based on a word that is not prayed about, confirmed and discussed with someone you trust who is walking in a “Godly” manner. Finally, God does nothing against His character so knowing Him makes His voice that much clearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment