Friday, March 18, 2011

...there are always people watching


I am a people watcher…always have been and probably always will be. People will tell you so much about themselves if you will just watch. When I was in school there was a girl in my choir class. I couldn’t help to notice she was always happy. She was one of the “smart kids” and all the teachers liked her. You would never find her talking badly about anyone or hanging out with the wrong kids. She went to youth group and was popular with her friends. Most of the “cool” kids made fun of her because she was a “goodie-two-shoes”, but she was nice to everyone even those who made fun of her. I often wondered if she knew what people said about her and looking back I suspect she did. We couldn’t have been more opposite. I was not a teacher’s favorite, I was not popular in fact I pretty much blended in and was not really noticed. I am sure I said more about other people than I should have and was often in the wrong place at the wrong time on the weekends. In spite of our differences, there was a part of me that admired her and wished I could somehow get a little piece of her happiness. After a few years of being rebellious I was confronted with an opportunity. Sitting in my living room, smoking a Virginia Slims and defiant as ever, I was asked if I would put everything aside and pursue faith. The first thing I thought of was this girl from my choir class. My life was anything but peaceful at this point and I still wanted a little bit of the happiness she had. Isn’t it interesting that a person whom I never actually had a conversation with had such an impact on my life? She had something so noticeably different it radiated out of her and I wanted it. Actions speak louder than words and there are always people watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment